Incognito lingual braces are a modern treatment and are an invisible alternative to conventional metal braces. Lingual braces are a discreet, yet effective, alternative to traditional braces. They are attached to the inner surfaces of the upper and lower teeth, meaning that they are virtually hidden from view.
Lingual braces can be placed over the entire upper and or lower teeth, or they can be placed only on the front 8 teeth should only cosmetic correction be desired. As they are invisible from the outside, this option is popular for patients who are concerned about the obvious appearance of traditional braces or who play an impact sport or musical instrument. Lingual braces are the ultimate in discretionary orthodontics.
How do lingual braces work?
Lingual braces work in a similar way to traditional braces, using brackets and arch wires. These apply a constant, gentle pressure to encourage the teeth to move. They are permanently attached to the teeth until the treatment is completed and your teeth are sitting in their optimal, beautiful position.
Dr Sudjalim at South Yarra Orthodontics provides lingual braces with the use of the Incognito ™ Braces System. This system involves the use of gold coated, individually hand-made braces to ensure that your treatment is the most comfortable, precise and accurate that is achievable.
What are the benefits of lingual braces?
- They are customised: Each Incognito braces appliance is individually designed and created just for you using the latest CAD/CAM, rapid prototyping and robotic technology to achieve optimum results. Your teeth are unique. Why should your orthodontics be any different?
- They are comfortable: As lingual braces are behind the teeth, they are in less contact with the delicate soft tissues of the mouth that are often affected by traditional braces. This allows for a more comfortable treatment.
- They are hidden: Unlike some other orthodontic treatments, Incognito braces are hidden behind the teeth, allowing you to smile as normal throughout your treatment.
- They prevent visible decalcification: Some people are left with decalcification of the tooth surface after braces if they have not taken enough care in their oral cleaning routine. This appears as white marks around where the bracket was secured to the tooth. With lingual braces, there is no risk of decalcification to the visible front side of the tooth.
- They have less waiting time: With lingual braces, you can see the results as they occur and don’t have to wait until the appliance is removed to show-off your new smile.
- They offer solutions for every type of orthodontic problem: Some other hidden orthodontic treatments, such as clear retainers, can only be used to fix certain, cosmetic issues of the teeth. Other issues, such as bite problems or malocclusions, cannot benefit from this retainer treatment and requires different pressures and appliances to create change. Lingual braces can be used to treat almost all problems, to ensure a perfect, healthy result.
South Yarra Orthodontics offer lingual braces, which are hidden behind your teeth and virtually invisible when you smile. For this reason, these braces have become increasingly popular throughout Australia.
While these braces have the obvious benefits of being well hidden behind your teeth, lingual braces can be a little trickier to clean.
Undergoing orthodontic treatment means that you will need to be a little more vigilant with your oral hygiene to get into all the little spaces created by your appliance. We have put together some tips to keep your Incognito braces in pristine condition:
- Invest in a quality toothbrush: A good toothbrush is the first step towards getting your lingual braces clean as it helps to remove most of the surface debris. During your first appointment, we will advise you on the best types of toothbrushes to purchase.
- Use suitable floss – Floss your teeth and braces with a floss tool to reach between your braces. We recommend an interdental cleaner.
- Clean throughout the day – If you brush and floss at night and in the morning, that’s great! Try to add a few more during the day, like after eating lunch. This ensures that you stay on top of your teeth cleaning and will make your mouth a healthier place.
- Visit us – Come in and see us in South Yarra for your scheduled appointments to have a professional clean and to keep your smile in great condition.
Investing money into your smile, or your child’s smile, can help not only your oral health, but also your overall health. Straight teeth are much easier to clean and can reduce your risk of developing severe gum disease, and even bone loss.
Every patient’s costs will differ. During your first appointment, our experienced treatment coordinator will discuss your treatment costs in depth and present a detailed treatment plan. South Yarra Orthodontics offer flexible payment plans to suit every budget.
Coming from the Latin term incognitus, incognito is an Italian word, which translates to: ‘to have one’s true identity concealed’. Incognito braces do exactly that; they conceal their identity behind your teeth for discreet orthodontic treatment.
Lingual braces utilise similar technology to traditional metal braces, but they are placed on the backside of your teeth and are virtually invisible when you smile.
If you are thinking about getting lingual braces, or just want to find out more, please don’t hesitate to contact our friendly team.