Maybe you just started your virtually invisible, Invisalign aligner treatment and you’re wondering how you should be cleaning them? How do you maintain the invisible appearance?
Well, read on because this blog will make you an expert at cleaning your aligners! We cover all the essentials for cleaning your Invisalign aligners so that you can maintain that fresh, invisible glow of your aligners.
How to clean Invisalign trays
We recommend that you do the following cleaning routine for your aligners.
- Rinse your aligners once you remove them, only using cold water. This is important as dry saliva and plaque cause bacteria to grow on your aligners, causing them to smell bad.
- Soak your aligners when you take them out to eat, drink or clean your mouth. Use either Invisalign’s official cleaning crystals or another denture cleaner.
- Make sure you brush and floss your teeth before reinserting your Invisalign aligners. You don’t want to put clean aligners back into a dirty mouth, as this defeats the purpose of cleaning them in the first place!
- With a clear antibacterial soap and a separate soft toothbrush, gently clean your Invisalign aligners. Make sure to give them a thorough clean as this helps your aligners stay fresh and clear of harmful bacteria.
- Rinse your aligners again, before reinserting them.
Brushing and flossing your teeth is crucial as Invisalign will push any debris or plaque to areas between your teeth, as they are designed to almost perfectly fit your bite. Failing to brush and floss correctly can increase the chances of decay, cavities and gum issues.
Proper oral hygiene is key to avoiding dental issues and helping ensure successful Invisalign treatment.
Why keep Invisalign trays clean?
Making sure you handle your Invisalign aligner trays with care and cleaning them regularly is important for achieving chances of a great treatment outcome.
Cleaning your trays until they are spotless by removing excess debris and acids is crucial for maintaining good health.
The don’ts of cleaning your Invisalign aligners
- Do not eat or drink anything besides water while wearing your Invisalign aligners. Foods and drinks can stain or discolour your aligners; this causes them to be more visible and smell.
- Do not use toothpaste on your Invisalign aligners. This is because many toothpastes can scratch your aligners, causing bacteria to get caught in small scratches.
Toothpastes containing whitening agents are especially harmful for aligners.
- Do not use coloured soaps. Coloured soaps cause Invisalign aligners to stain and take on other colours. So, unless you want your aligners to become visible, we recommend avoiding coloured soaps.
- Do not leave your aligners exposed while they are taken out. Leaving your aligners exposed can not only increase chances of damages occurring and misplacement, it can also expose them to bacteria and germs.
Any damage or warping to your Invisalign aligners can alter your treatment and throw it all out of whack. Staining and discolouration causes your aligners to become more noticeable. Any scratches or other damage can cause your aligners to become more susceptible to bacteria.
Invisalign clear aligners are a great alternative to traditional metal braces, which is why we offer the treatment at South Yarra Orthodontics. If you have any further questions or concerns, please kindly contact our team as we will always be happy to help.
For any questions or to book an appointment with our team, please contact us here.